Thursday, March 6, 2014

Organizing: The Spice Cabinet

My husband loves spices/seasonings/sauces.  So we have a ton.  We were using these guys from amazon.com, but they kept falling off the doors.  Maybe due to the steam that a stove creates when cooking?  I'm not sure, but I wouldn't recommend them.

I saw this pull down organizing rack a long time ago.  We used to keep our spices in the cabinet above our microwave and because our microwave stuck out past the cabinets we knew that rack wouldn't work for us. Then we decided to do a little moving around in the kitchen and put our spices in the cabinet next to the microwave because it was a "full" sized cabinet as opposed to just a small, high space.  (How many times have I said "microwave" so far??!!)  It was impossible to find any thing in there, we were always rearranging them and we just weren't able to get it right.  So one evening my husband and I took care of this issue.  It didn't take much time at all and we are super happy with the finished product.

So here's how we did it:
Before

Emptied out the cabinet and tossed old items or condensed multiples down to one bottle

(Don't mind the cords, those are for my kick butt under cabinet lighting that my dad and husband installed for me awhile ago.)

Bought this from Lowe's 

took the middle shelf out of the cabinet

Attached the pull down organizer per the directions (well I read them, but I'm not
sure my husband listened, as usual!)

Placed the shelf back in the cabinet

Tested it out

Filled it up!  The top is now all the baking supplies and the bottom is a small container we already had filled with a few packets and the larger spices we use the most often.  We also had space on either side of the new shelf to store large bottles.

Boom! My lift is now just a little bit easier!

How do you store spices and sauces?  Do you feel like you have a million on hand, but never the one you need?  I feel like that happens more than it should! 

Total cost: around $20!  Can't beat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment