Now on to the nursery "reveal"
When we found out we were having another little boy, I wanted to go a different route than your usual blue room. After all, we did a blue room for our oldest son and it had a sports theme. There is only so much blue this mom can handle. So I picked up a few different fabric samples at our local craft stores and got to work. These are most of the samples I picked out. Side note: Did you know you can get a tiny piece of fabric cut and it will only cost you a handful of coins? I never knew that, it's a great way to get samples and head home to decide which colors look best for your project. Then you can use the leftover scraps for smaller projects!
Question: Which one do you think I went with?
Answer: None of them!
At the time I was planning this, grey and yellow was a popular color scheme for all kinds of rooms, so I ended up jumping on that bandwagon and I couldn't be happier with my decision. We started with the Valspar color called Gravity. I don't have any before pictures of Liam's room. Just imagine a plain empty box. It had tan walls, the color we picked for the rest of our houses when we were building it.
This is a smaller room, it's about 10 feet by 10 feet, but it has a nice sized closet and it works just fine for a bedroom.
His "monthly photos" also wouldn't be complete until he was a year old, so that wall used to have placeholder art. Framed fabric and a drawing made for Liam by his big bro.
(alphabet wall inspiration found here)
My absolute favorite part of Liam's room is the alphabet wall. While I was pregnant and planning this room, I kept a list in my purse and as I found letters on the cheap, I would buy them and cross them off the list. This entire wall of "art" cost MAYBE $25. That's a steal if you ask me. I waited until different letters went on sale at Hobby Lobby. After I had purchased all the letters, I laid them on the floor and kept moving them around until I had a layout I liked. I took a picture so I would remember the layout and got to painting/decorating. I made a note of which letters needed to be spray painted and with what color and gave those to my hubby to take care of. The ones that needed to be painted by hand I did myself . We got 4-5 different samples sizes of grey paint when we were trying to choose a color for the walls, so I just used the leftover paint from those. Then I added dots or stripes. I also tried to do different things to keep it interesting. An embroidery hoop for the "o" with fabric inside, colorful string wrapped around the "e", and chalkboard paint on the "l" so I could add a little something extra to it. I've always thought about painting zebra stripes on the "z". What do you think?
(push pin art inspiration found here)
(Who's that hiding?!)
(corner pieces found here)
One of the last and final touches was adding crown molding to the room. My husband, bless his heart, tried over and over and over again to get the crown molding cut correctly and installed. Unfortunately he just couldn't figure it out. Even after we read the instructions John over at Young House Love posted and watched countless videos online. We also bought the exact same tools John suggested. It just wasn't going to happen. My dreams of crown molding were almost shattered when we found these corner pieces that matched our crown exactly. They are super easy to use and made my husband happy! Your crown just slides right into the pieces and boom! You're done. Instant upgrade. I'll have more pictures of these bad boys when we install crown molding in our master bedroom. Can't wait for that.
A few notes. The dresser is from Target (so is the crib) and came with cheap white wood pulls. We replaced them these, I believe they were from Lowe's and came in at under $2 each! It was an inexpensive upgrade and now the dresser matches the crib great!
I used a clear acrylic magazine holder for a shelf. It's just turned sideways and anchored into the wall. So simple and practical!
(Light found here)
I started with this room first here on the blog because I feel like it's the most "done" in our house. I feel like rooms can always be changing or evolving as your taste changes so I wouldn't even call Liam's room done. In fact, there are already a few projects I have on the back burner that I want to do over the next year or two since he's getting bigger.
Here's our little dude now...
Linking up to: Tatertots&Jello