Sunday, January 26, 2014

Product Review: Hair Products

One of the types of blog posts I've thought about doing was a "product review" type post. So, here's the first installment!

I know that not everyone who reads this blog has long hair, or any hair for that matter. (Hi, dad!) But I thought I would do a roundup of some of my favorite hair products. My hair is pretty long, but most of these items are great for just about any length of hair!

The first item is something that was given to me as a birthday gift from my bestie and I have loved it every day since I started using it. It's called "The Wet Brush" and you can find it here.


This brush is awesome!  Since my hair is very long it can be hard to brush through.  I used to use a large tooth comb to get through it AND then a brush, but I haven't even picked up my comb since I got this.

Pros: easy to use, works the way it is supposed to, small and compact
        *You can even get this in a smaller size, which would be great for kids with long hair

Cons: you can't use this with a hair dryer (I haven't even attempted) but it has a rubber type coating on it, so it seems like it would melt under the heat

Recommend?: Highly
Alyssa's Star Rating: 5 out of 5


Next I'd like to talk about this little number: 



I originally heard about this deep waver from Mandy over at House of Rose.  When I saw how cool her hair turned out, I decided I needed to try this thing for myself.  I did a little looking around and found it for the least expensive price on Amazon.  I just tried it this past week and I love it.  I usually only wear my hair straight or curly.  This gives me a different option which is always great.  

Pros: easy to use, decently priced, heat settings so you don't burn your hair!

Cons: it's kind of big (bigger than a curling iron) so if you don't have a lot of storage, this may not be for you. However, I would make room for it if I were short on space, it's that great!

Recommend?: Highly
Alyssa's Star Rating: 4 out of 5 


Next up is this product I heard about from my hair stylist.  This stuff will change. your. life.  



I only use this "on special occasions" because I'm...frugal!  It's kind of pricey.  I get it through my stylist and I'm not sure what I paid for it or what she pays, but whatever it is, it's worth it.  I use it when I wear my hair straight and I can't even explain to you how soft and smooth my hair feels when I use this oil.  As smooth as a babies bottom.  No, smoother than that!

Pros: everything about it! 

Cons: the price, but again, so worth it!

Recommend?: Highly
Alyssa's Star Rating: 5+ out of 5


Need a good updo?  This won't help! 


So, I got this a few weeks ago and tried to use it.  I've seen a bunch of sock bun tutorials and it sounded like instead of using a sock, this was a better route to go.  It seems like the sock gives you a messy sort of bun look and I wanted to try to get a "cleaner" look.  I guess I can't give this a 100% fair review because I think I know what the issue was, I just haven't had a chance to fix it yet.  I have pretty thin hair, especially when I've freshly washed and dried it and used the amazeballs oil I mentioned above.  When I went to use the "hair styler" you could see it under my hair.  I got the medium size and I think that may be the problem.  Hopefully I can go back and exchange it for a smaller size soon and find out if that makes it better.  However, this styler is also very rough so it kept getting caught on my hair and it didn't look smooth up in the bun.  But, I'll try again and maybe I'll even try the sock trick someday so I can really compare the two! 

Pros: inexpensive and gives you a new look from the same "messy pony" you are used to 

Cons: didn't work with my hair, but it may work with other types

Recommend?: Not at this point
Alyssa's Star Rating: 1


This is pretty much a no brainer, but I wanted to include it! 




A few months ago my 18 month old decided to put the plug part of my Chi into the toilet.  I really didn't want to buy a new one, but my husband wasn't able to fix the plug and I did have that Chi for almost 7 years so I bit the bullet and bought this one.  I think this makes my third Chi and I would buy another one if something ever happened to this one.  Chances are if you have hair that you straighten once in a while, you've tried a Chi.  It's nothing new, but since I'm rounding up hair products, this one belongs here!  

Pros: lasts forever (well, until someone puts it in the potty!!!) pretty designs, sometimes they come with a carrying case that you can put the Chi directly into when it's hot, available for a reasonable price (especially around Christmas time and with a coupon at Ulta), can be bought locally if you have a store that carries flat irons, small, travels well

Cons: none that I can think of!

Recommend: HIGHLY
Alyssa's Star Rating: 5+

So, for rounding up five products most of them got a great rating.  Only one failed my test.  Not too shabby, if you ask me.  Not too shabby!  

What are some of your favorite products?   What couldn't you live without and what would you mind if you never used again?  Share below in the comments.  

Don't forget to enter my giveaway, it's ending soon!!  

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I would like to open beauty salon. Does anybody have an experience in this business? There are too many options in different salon equipment. Could anybody give me an advise? What store is more reliable to buy Salon waiting chairs and Salon mirrors. I'm choosing between Advance-Esthetic.Com and Spa&Equipment websites.

    ReplyDelete