Wednesday, April 2, 2014

World Autism Awareness Day

I had plans to post my monthly meal plan here today, but there is something bigger than food on my mind today.

Today is a day to raise awareness for autism. I don't know a lot about this neurological disorder and I don't personally know a lot of people with it, but I still want to take part in raising awareness. My sister on the other hand, received her degree in Elementary and Special Education. She worked as an in-home autism therapist while in college. I have heard many stories from her about what she has learned and I have asked her question just out of curiosity. My sister has participated in the "Walk 4 Autism" the last couple years and I had the pleasure of joining her two years ago and will be doing so again this year. Throughout the walk, there are signs with facts about autism and I'd like to share some of those overwhelming facts with you. I feel like it's important to take part in activities that benefit others even if you don't know someone directly who was affected by the cause.  I also feel like opening up your mind and learning about those "issues" is important as well.

Disclaimer: I found some of these facts just by googling "what is autism" and I remembered some of them from the walk.  So I hope they are current and correct. If not please feel free to correct me by commenting below with a source to your information.

1. Autism affects 1 in 68 children and 1 in 42 boys.
2. Autism is the fastest growing development disability in the US
3. Boys are almost five times more likely to have autism than girls
4. The disorder can range from mild to highly disabling
5. Autism is just a different type of personality, it's not always a problem

So, if you find yourself asking the question "how can I raise awareness?" Here's how!

You can wear blue today! That's so simple, everyone has to have some blue in their closet! Put it on:)

You can "light it up blue".  Simply buy a blue light bulb from many participating retailers and put it in a lamp or in your porch light. The retailers *should be* donating a portion of the sales to Autism Speaks! I got mine at Walmart, but I'm pretty sure the home improvement stores are selling them as well.

You can also change your profile picture on Twitter or Facebook to blue. Just follow this link to complete this easy step to show your support.

You can click here to find a walk near you.

I wish I would have been on top of my game and posted this yesterday so you all had a chance to buy a light bulb or wear blue this morning when you were getting ready for work, but I wasn't. However, the entire month of April is Autism Awareness month, so go ahead and participate tomorrow, or the next day or the next!! Let's make difference, let's raise awareness, let's teach each other something and most importantly let's support those fighting their battle against autism.

I would also like to take the time to thank those, like my sister, who spend time working with children affected by autism. And to the parents who have a child with autism, I commend you. Being a parent is tough! The hardest job on the planet if you ask me.  Being a parent to a child with any disorder is something only the strongest of people are given the chance to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment